Labels

Thursday, September 26, 2013

More stories...

......................................................................................................................and music saved my soul.


A few fans who finished reading the book have contacted me with some burning questions. If you have any questions about my life, please feel free to contact me or leave a comment on this blog. I will do my best to get back to you as soon as possible.

Peace
Dakini

Question #1: "What was it like to be backstage with Led Zeppelin? 

What I remember most were the sensations. I was very pregnant at the time, only 8 weeks away from giving birth. I had found a way to wiggle through the crowd to get as close as I could to the stage. Led Zeppelin! I had to get close. I had to feel the music.

You have to remember, I loved music. Not just the to dance to.. but for the way it transcended my spirit. I loved getting lost in it.  

I had become addicted to the feeling of the music as it coursed through my body. In order for me to get that "high" I had to be close to the speakers. Very close. In fact, I am sure my hearing loss is greatly attributed to closeness on that June afternoon in Golden Gate Park. 

I could not just sit back and listen from a distance. I had to get close. I had to feel the sound. I had to experience it in person. However, the closer I got to the speakers, the more violent the kicking from within. 

It was that closeness that caused my unborn baby boy to go into a frantic turmoil which brought me to my knees in pain. The fierceness of his movements was crippling. A few onlookers realized I was in a crisis and came to my rescue. They called over to the security and stagehands. I cannot recall how I was brought back stage, but I do remember the comforting feeling of arms supporting me ~ guiding me through the crowd. I do remember gripping my swollen belly with both arms, trying to protect my child from the brutal assault of the music. It is so ironic that the very music which brought me so much peace, had the opposite effect on my unborn child. 

Backstage was even more surreal. I looked up from my seat on some stacked wooden boxes and tried to gain my bearings. I looked up and saw I was behind the stage. I was back in an area crowded with all sorts of electronic equipment as well as the usual groupies. It was all a blur and it took all my strength to focus on my baby, and to find a way to ease his pain. 

Someone handed me some pillows and motioned to me to use them as a barricade for my belly. The music filled the air, even back here behind the speakers. I am not sure if it was the pillows, or just the change in locale, but the baby settled and I was able to take in a bit more of my surroundings.  

My vision was blocked, but I could get peeks of the bodies on stage. I watched in awe, even though I could only see their backs for the most part. I also could see the turbulent sea of faces lost in the music. Behind me were a few people sitting on chairs in the blocked off area of the auditorium. 

I was more impressed with with the idea of what was happening than I was with what I was actually witnessing. I guess it was kind of a version of stage fright, but from the perspective of a fan that gets to meet their idol but finds themselves frozen in fear. 

I felt rather invisible, as if I were watching this from some other dimension or from behind a two way mirror. As I look back now, I am sure that it was because I was not a likely groupie (pregnant!) and did not flaunt myself on the musicians. I was just another part of the back stage scene and most likely easily forgotten. 

No so much for me. Back stage at a Led Zeppelin concert. Epic. By anyone's standards. 

I hope this gives you a bit more insight about that day!

Dakini

No comments:

Post a Comment