Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Pregnant and Backstage with Led Zeppelin in 1973 © 2010 Dakini Verona

Led Zeppelin Concert © 2010 Dakini Verona

It was a warm day in Golden Gate Park, which was very unusual if you have ever been to San Francisco in the summer. It was June 6th 1973. It happened to be Led Zeppelin’s last San Francisco concert- however it was my first.

I was just 10 weeks shy of giving birth to my love child. I was very pregnant and flaunted my “condition” by wearing a tie-on halter top and low slung short cut-off hip hugger jeans with wildly colored tights. I refused to conform to the mandates of society and therefore not only did not own any maternity clothes, but flashed my ample belly at every opportunity.

I had become proficient at finding my way into concerts without paying. There were always spare tickets to be had. A smile, pleading eyes, who could refuse? So there I Kezar Stadium smack dab in the center of Golden Gate Park,  in a crowd of more than 50,000,  swaying to the music of yet another rock legend. Led Zeppelin. I could barely contain myself. I swooned at the sight of Robert Plant and Jimmie Page. I worked my way up towards the front of the crowd and planted myself right in front of the gigantic speaker on the left of the stage. This had come to be one of my favorite spots at most concerts, because not only could I see all the performers on the stage clearly, but I could feel the music reverberate through my entire body. Little did I know that my baby did not feel the same way about the music.

Kezar Stadium June 6, 1973


  1. What happened to you and what happened to the baby? Do you still suffer from damage to your own ears? My heart aches reading this, just hoping that you both turned out ok...

    I find your story fascinating and intriguing, and your courage to re-tell it, inspiring.

  2. Hi Miss Mina,

    thanks for the inquiry.

    That day was not the worst day of my pregnancy.... we lived through many more real threats.. being held at gun point, being rushed to the hospital during my 7th month for emergency surgery..

    My son grew up to be a fine man. He has five children and lives in Dallas, Texas.

    My ears still ring to this day, there is nothing they can do about it. But it was from continued exposure to very loud music.

    I am purging my demons one story at a time and once I get them all out I will put them together in a book. I have given my two children warnings to stay away from these pages. I do not use my real name to prevent these from being tied to my new life.

  3. Dakini,

    I breathe a sigh of relief. I'm sure in the thick of it, the last thing you'd want to know was that you survived all this, but I am glad you did and that your kids are healthy and doing well.

    I followed your FB link here. I respect your choice for privacy. I also respect your decision to share such painful memories. Thank you for taking us on your journey.